Student Food Service Worker Job Overview:
The Food Service Worker may work anywhere on property where food is prepared. This person will
assist in setup and serving of food from counters and steamtables. Duties will include cleaning and
sanitizing equipment and work stations. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed
below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ
among accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
• Reads recipes and/or product directions.
• Estimates food requirements.
• Operates a variety of kitchen utensils to weigh, measure, mix, wash, peel, cut, grind, stir, strain,
season and knead foodstuffs for cooking, serving and storing.
• Assists in the preparation of hot and/or cold foods, and properly stores food, utilizing knowledge
of temperature requirements and spoilage.
• Inspects workstations for compliance with service standards.
• Keeps records and requisition for supplies/equipment as needed.
• Cleans and sanitizes workstations and equipment following all Sodexo, client and regulatory
rules and procedures.
• May taste test products.
• Sets up stations with entrées, soups, salads, breads, condiments, other food products and
• Provides general stocking duties in service area.
• Serves and replenishes food from counters and steam tables (sometimes using a conveyor food belt), and breaks down stations at the end of meal periods.
• Brews coffee and tea.
• May be required to restock other beverage areas.
• Interacts with customers in the serving, retail and dining areas.
• Assists customers with opening containers and cutting food when requested.
• Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
• Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
• Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
• Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
• Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
• May work on a tray line to distribute food.
• May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Job Qualifications: Experience/Knowledge:
• High School diploma, GED, or equivalent experience preferred.
• No previous work experience required.
• Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
• Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and
• Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors,
managers, customers, and client representatives.
• Ability to use a computer.
• Ability to provide clear directions and respond to employees.
• Basic food-handling skills
• Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
• Maturity of judgment and behavior.
• Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
• Maintains a positive attitude.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
• Must comply with any dress code requirements.
• Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
• Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity. Physical Requirements:
• Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus,
with or without corrective lenses.
• Significant walking or other means of mobility.
• Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and
occasionally lift/move 40 pounds. Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
• Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
• Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate
environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Sodexo is an EEO/AA/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran employer. Sodexo is committed to upholding the spirit and principles of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the 1998 amendment to the Act. If, due to a disability, you require a reasonable accommodation to navigate this site and/or complete the on-line application process, please contact SodexoFrontlineApplicationSupport.USA@sodexo.com for assistance. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.